The Boo Grigsby Foundation Scholarship Fund was established in 2009 to provide funding for disadvantaged students to attend college through Career Compass of Louisiana (“Career Compass”). The purpose of the Fund is to provide scholarships to public high school graduates who currently attend schools receiving college and career coaching services by Career Compass, a 501(c) (3) educational nonprofit corporation. The Fund is an award and incentive for young adults who have the qualifications to attend an accredited post-secondary institution, but do not have the financial ability to attend the school upon high school graduation.
The Fund will make available funding for partial or full paid scholarships for students who will attend an accredited public two-year, four-year, or technical college or university (maximum amount will be stipulated, based on type of school) within the state of Louisiana. The scholarship award is to be used toward the following, in order of priority: tuition and fees; room and board; books and supplies; and commuting expenses. The recipients are to be selected by a Scholarship Advisory Committee. Funds will be paid directly to the school each semester on behalf of the student. Scholarship recipients must attend several mandatory meetings during the year, beginning with a scholarship orientation in June 2017 (date to be determined). Recipients will also be required to submit satisfactory report cards at the end of each semester to be eligible to receive continued funding for the next semester.
In making its decision, the Scholarship Advisory Committee will use the following criteria:
- Student attends a high school serviced by Career Compass and has received Career Compass college/career coaching services;
- Successful qualification and acceptance by student to post-secondary school planning to attend;
- Financial need of student (such as didn’t receive TOPS, no/limited federal grant assistance);
- Compelling essay by student that demonstrates initiative and motivation to succeed in post-secondary endeavors and that answers all questions listed; and
- Confirmation by student’s Career Compass coach that student received college and career coaching and has taken necessary steps to attend post-secondary school planning to attend.
Each applicant must present a completed Application Form and Essay Questions, as well as the Required Documents, to the Scholarship Advisory Committee by April 25, 2017.
Application Form and Essay Questions
Download the Word or PDF version of the Application Form and Essay Questions below. Typed responses are preferred, but are not required.
Please provide copies of ALL of the documents listed.
- Your most recent official academic transcript
- ACT/SAT score report, if applicable
- A copy of your SAR, obtained when FAFSA is filed, if available
Method of Submission
There are three ways to submit your application and documents. Choose one:
- Email your completed application and materials to firstname.lastname@example.org; or
- Submit your application to your Career Compass coach; or
- Mail the documents to the address below. Applications sent through certified mail or requiring a receipt of delivery will be automatically disqualified.
Career Compass of Louisiana
17425 Jefferson Hwy., Suite G
Baton Rouge, LA 70817
- Contact Career Compass at email@example.com or speak with your Career Compass coach.
PLEASE NOTE: FINAL AWARDS AND AWARD AMOUNTS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE BASED ON FINAL TOPS AMOUNTS, PELL AMOUNTS, OR OTHER SCHOLARSHIP/GRANT AMOUNTS AND A CHANGE IN THE RECIPIENTS CIRCUMSTANCES THAT WOULD CHANGE HIS/HER FINANCIAL NEED.
DOWNLOAD THE APPLICATION FORM AND ESSAY QUESTIONS